In June 2011, Victoria’s Environment Protection Authority (EPA) released a revised Compliance and Enforcement (C&E) policy. There seemed to be some similarities to WorkSafe’s C&E policy, developed in 2006, so SafetyAtWorkBlog spoke this afternoon to John Merritt, who became the CEO of the EPA in early 2010 after many years as the executive director of WorkSafe Victoria.
In an exclusive podcast with SafetyAtWorkBlog Merritt, a major participant in the development of both policies, provides a useful insight into
- Why a revised C&E policy was necessary
- The similarities of environmental and workplace safety enforcement
- How WorkSafe enforcement lessons can be applied to environmental protection
- The cooperation between government agencies
- Balancing transparency and information provision
- EPA’s use of social media
- Maintaining a local focus in a world of global environmental challenges
The podcast should be of interest to those professionals who need to manage the, often competing, business elements of environmental, safety and health obligations.